Frequently Asked Questions

Below are several commonly asked questions of the Wallowa County Sheriff’s Office. If your question is not answered below, please contact us at 541-426-3131 so we may assist you with your needs. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!

Can I call 9-1-1 for non-emergencies?

9-1-1 is for emergency use only. When there is eminent harm to persons or property you should call 9-1-1. The Wallowa County Sheriff’s Office staffs the 9-1-1 call center 24/7 and are responsive to your emergency needs. For non-emergency needs, please call 541-426-3131 and follow the phone prompts.

Did you know effective 01/01/2010 it is illegal to use a cell phone or text while operating a vehicle?

Oregon’s New Cell Phone Law “Operating a Motor Vehicle While Using a Mobile Communication Device” House Bill 2377 amended ORS 811.507 to ban the use of mobile communication devices with some exceptions. The new law, a class D traffic violation with a minimum base fine of $142.00, is effective January 1, 2010 and is a primary offense, meaning that a police officer may stop a driver solely for using a cell phone without using a hands-free accessory. For purposes of the new law, “mobile communication device” is defined as a text messaging device or a wireless, two-way communication device designed to receive and transmit voice or text communication.

How do I check if there is a warrant for my arrest?

The records department is open 24/7 and we can verify with you if there is a warrant for your arrest. Just call 541-426-3131 ext. 0 and ask for a warrant check.

How do I report livestock on the highway?

Call the Sheriff’s business line at 426-3131 extension 0. Know your location and provide a description of the animals on the highway. Oregon is an open range state and livestock have the right of way in areas outside of livestock districts.

What can I do about my neighbor’s barking dog?

The Wallowa County Sheriff’s Office encourages you to attempt to resolve pet ownership problems with directly with your neighbors. If this first step fails to bring resolution, you need to be willing to sign a citation that will include a court appearance by both parties. Please call our office at 541-426-3131.

What does it cost to have fingerprints taken for job applications?

The Wallowa County Sheriff’s Office will take your fingerprints by appointment and the cost is $10. Please call 541-426-3131, extension 2301 to schedule your appointment. Please remember, if your are an applicant with any school or the department of human services, please bring your billing form from the hiring agency.

What to do for non-injury motor vehicle accidents?

Swap contact and insurance information and if damage is minor, you can pick up a Department of Motor Vehicle accident reporting form at the Sheriff’s office or any DMV location.

View All FAQ's